Friday 25 July 2014

July Tag Bees Knees

Hi Everyone,

Here today to bring you my take on Tim's July tag and this month I have dared to be different.  I have made quite a few seahorse projects recently and so I decided to follow the techniques Tim showed us but using the lovely new Layered Bee rather than the Seahorse.  You can see Tim's original and step by step HERE but this is my version.

 
Well I did say It was different! I think he is the Bees Knees! (thus the title of the post)  and if you want to grab yourself a brew, I can take you through the make up of the elements. 
Firstly I coloured a tag exactly how Tim explains in his tutorial, I just used different colours of paint and stains.  I cut the bee and the honeycomb from card and a pair of wings from shrink plastic.  I also ran a piece of thin acetate through the big shot with 2 die cut honeycombs to get the honeycomb imprint onto it and cut it to the shape I wanted
 

As Tim did with his seahorse, I coloured the bee with distress paint (mustard seed & black soot) I was a bit messy getting the paint on the wings but these were going to be cut off so it did not matter.


When the paint was thoroughly dry, I embossed the bee with the folder


Then using a piece of cut n dry and BS paint I carefully picked up the embossed areas

 
Then I decided to mask off the legs and paint them again so they were wet enough to hold the frosted Chrystal antiquities.  I then heat set it with a heat tool

 
I gave the whole of the body part of the bee a coat of rock candy crackle paint
 

I gave my embossed wings a dab of stonewashed alcohol ink

 

 Edged them with a permanent black marker and then stapled them together with my tiny attacher

 
Then attached them to my bee on the back.
 

The acetate honeycomb got a coat of butterscotch alcohol ink.  I put it onto the white card just so you could see it on the photo better, and I liked the fact it showed the pattern of the ink up more so I decided to keep it that way.  I glued it onto the white card and cut around it.


 I painted the honeycomb with scattered straw distress paint and sprinkled it lightly with antique linen embossing powder (as Tim did with his sand dollar)

 
I ran around the edges with a distress pen and glued the honeycombs together 

 
Next I mixed the 'sand' or in this case the beeswax and used my finger to poke it into a couple of the honeycomb gaps.   I glued the honeycomb to the tag and mixed a little more of the sand mixture to add some detail and soften of the edges. I shaped my bee a little and used 3d pads to attach him to the tag.
 
 
Here are a few close up photo's (I know you like them!) to see the detail better.  Here we see the detail of the wings and honeycomb centres
 


 
Crackled bee and textured legs
 

Exhibit No 07 for July of course stamped with potting soil archival onto distressed card stock.


Not forgetting my little atc for July.  The Bee has been die-cut from white shrink plastic, coloured in and shrunk down (Carefully!) he is so sweet! you can also see sandy (waxy!) corners.
All the stamps used on the atc are from the classics no. 12 set.  the honeycomb here was stamped using antique linen dp and had ep sprinkled over.


and of course could not let you go without your monthly view of the atc display very pink and yellow may I add, I might see if I can get a touch of blues & greens in there next month.


One last look at the tag


Thank you for your visit (if you are still with me that is!) hope you enjoyed the step by step
Mo x

18 comments:

  1. This is wonderful Mo,good on you for being different as well! Very tempted to get these new dies,seen such beautiful creations with them.

    Have a great weekend
    Hugs
    Donna xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love his multiple wings - especially the acetate. Fabulous tag and the tiny bee on the ATC is wonderful! Don't think I'm going to make it this month... sigh...
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. How clever is this!!! LOVE the way you've taken the techniques and used them for a completely different theme. Genius Mo. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous Mo, I just love your adaption on the original! The bee looks fantastic with the acetate wing and the sand in the honey comg looks great too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both clever and wonderful Mo! Different is good, I love the result. Adore your ATC too, not yet created an ATC, you have inspired me. Nikki xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenny is so right Mo, this was a genius idea. I have to keep going back to look at this beautiful bee. I really love what you did with the honeycomb and your beeswax is just fabulous. This has to be my favourite tag of yours - ever!! Love the bee! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really, really beautiful tag, Mo! I love your bee and his super, acetate wings. It was just fascinating to read about your techniques, and the step by steps were clear and interesting. This was a really enjoyable post! Love the tag lots. Julie Ann xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, wonderful tag. You are one clever and talented lady. Hugs Rita xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. SO PLEASED for your TH win! Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on the win!! Your Bee is fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just gorgeous Mo!! Love the crackle finish on the bee!!!!!! Oh and those wings ... amazing. Such an incredibly creative take on Tim's tag! Congrats on your win -- Mary Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  12. Woohoo!! Huge congratulations on your Tim win - again!! Thrilled to bits for you! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations Mo! Fantastic you won - so happy for you xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations again... Wow... you must be flying around your craft room not far from the ceiling today... I know I am... you must be completely off the walls... Love, Light and peace...Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh - your bee is making me shiver - but he IS beautiful with his clear wings - great job on your version of Tim's tag - congrats on your win!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow fabulous Mo and congratulations on your win. The detailing on the wings is wonderful... bee happy!!! x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wahoo! Loving your BEEautiful bee and tag. Congrats on your win and enjoy your well deserved goodies. Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mo, this is so creative. Love the wings on the bee! Congratulations on the win!

    ReplyDelete