Thursday, 5 June 2014

Lighted Tea Roses

Hi Everyone,

The new Compendium of Curiosities Challenge has us turning to page 65 of Tim's book 3 and making Tea Roses. To see all the details on how to join in with the challenge, CLICK HERE.  The challenge is sponsored by the Inspiration Emporium this time, so you will have a chance of winning a Gift Certificate to spend there, also, Tim & Mario have very kindly donated goodies for an extra prize, so you have two chances of winning.   Now, as ever with the Compendium Challenge I am not allowed to give away the how to steps (you have to buy the book for that which you can HERE ) but here is my entry for the challenge plus the how to's I can show you.

I decided I wanted to make something a little different, and was inspired by some of the lovely little table lanterns available at the moment for summer bbq's or weddings. The luminary die-cut had been lying around my desk for some time (well since Christmas actually) just awaiting some tlc.  I bought a little battery T light to go with it
 There were one or two area that I had not perfectly matched when putting it together and I wanted to keep the luminary white so.....
 I applied Wendy Vecchi studio 490 White embossing paste to the whole of the outside which covered the gaps in the corners and gave a lovely stone look.
 I die-cut, and coloured some spring greenery, I used Peeled paint and stain on different leaves to get a slightly different finish.

 then used a pokey tool to get some detail on the leaves.
 I used Vintage Photo DI onto the edges of the leaves and also very lightly onto the dried texture paste on the lantern.  The longer Spring Greenery was glued to the four corners.
 A couple of coats of Brushed Pewter Distress Paint was applied to the small inner platform and the roof and then a small ring pull was added to the centre.  This is only for decoration in this case, but it does give the option of allowing the luminare to be hung with a chain or ribbon.
I coloured some Vintage ribbon with a mix of Aged Mahogany, Scattered Straw, and Victorian Velvet Distress stains/inks spritzed with water on the craft mat.
 The ribbon was secured on one corner with a glue gun, and then twisted and glued to the next corner until it it all the way around the base.
 I got to this point and realised I had not painted the inside! so I very carefully used a paint brush and Brushed Pewter distress paint all over the inside.  (of course this step is easier before the roof is on!).
 Back on track! I made 6 roses initially for the project not knowing really how many I would use. Here is a clue as to the colours I used.

 I glued four of the roses back to back around the flame of the tea light.  I made a small hole in one more rose and glued this on the top, the tip of the flame was secured in the hole.
Finally the scored rose leaves were added in-between the roses I opted not to add acetate window panes and instead have the rose leaves free so they would hang out of the window apertures.
I made three more roses for the corners of the base to complete.
Enjoy a few more photos from different angles

Oh! one more thing... the little night light.... yes, it still works even though the roses surround it.
Thank you as ever for your visit today
Mo x


  1. this is absolutely stunning Mo - such an inspired design - the roses look amazing and its such a pretty ensemble. I really hope this wins Mo - its so clever and so pretty and functional too - brilliant!!! Hugs rachel x

  2. I think my last message went into Cyberspace......

    How clever are you, using the luminary die in this way, I love the paste edges to give lots of lovely texture and your flowers are just beautiful. This will look lovely out on your decking in the summer Mo. Love this! A lot. Big hugs, Anne xx

  3. So beautiful Mo. The luminary looks fantastic covered in paste and I love your idea of the flowers around the tealight. Like you I have an altered luminary that has been sitting around for ages. This is definitely inspirational. Jenny x

  4. What a great project! love the luminary with the embossing paste and silver pieces - your roses look beautiful with the vines!

  5. Oh wow Mo, brilliant!! What a cool and clever idea!! And I have to say your roses look amazing!! Mine never turn out as good looking as that!!!

  6. Love this lantern! The climbing roses in and out are gorgeous, and totally love the texture! Thanks so much for joining us in our rosy challenge at CC3Challenge!!!

  7. Oh wow Mo that's a fabulous summer decorative piece, I love the textures and roses theme to it, it will look fabulous on a table on a warm summers evening. Great job xxx

  8. This is fabulous Mo, I love your texture and your roses are stunning. Hope your on to a winner with this. I love doing 3D projects, something really satisfying at making a flat piece of paper 3D, I am now a follower of your fab blog.
    Julie x

  9. What a beautiful lantern Mo, such a treasure. This die is one of Tim's best brainwaves, it gives us pleasure all year around. Your decorations are beautiful, fab roses, a really lovely make. Chris xxx

  10. Mo...what a lovely lantern! These are a bit tricky to put together but you've done an expert job. I love your little green vines running up the sides of the lantern and your faux tea roses...gorgeous! I also love the texture you've given to the lantern itself. Love it! Thanks for sharing your art with us at CC3C. <3 Candy

  11. Glorious, Mo - love the texture on the lantern and the vines twining around the pillars. The roses look fabulous in their shabby chic setting - an absolute delight!
    Alison xx

  12. Wow! What a super project.... love the way you've highlighted the roses on such a unique project. Thanks for joining us at CC3C!