I do hope you have all had a good Easter whatever you were doing. I made the most of the gorgeous weather on Good Friday with a lovely long walk along the coast with a picnic lunch. The rest of the weekend was spent catching up with with friends and neighbours.
I have for you today an 8" x 8" wall hanging I have put together for the latest Challenge over at Country View Crafts which has an Industrial theme Click Here for details. Now I get a bit stuck with Industrial sometimes and looking back at my past projects they all seem to be silver metal with black paint, so wanting to get away from this and add a little bit of Colour to the project I came up with this little number.
Now you see where the Spring or Springs come into the title!
I started with 2 pieces of card which I covered in foil tape. One I ran through the big shot with the gears embossing folder and the other I cut with the layered butterfly. Th butterfly was coloured using a mix of various alcohol inks followed by distress paints. The gears were painted with distress paints and rusted with vintage photo distress embossing powder.
I cut a piece of mount board and glued some pieces of foam hessian (like the stuff you get to stop things slipping on a shiny surface) around the edges. I took some more metal tape and put this over the top and around the edges. I then used a pencil rubber to get the pattern through the metal.
I used Peacock feathers distress paint over the metal, let it dry a little then rubbed it back to reveal the silver underneath. I decided I wanted a darker look so I rubbed saddle brown stayzon over the top
I attached my centre panel with glue and punched holes when dry punched holes around the edges followed by copper eyelets. I took some rusty wire and threaded it through the holes, wrapping it around my pokey tool as I went for the springs on the front, but keeping it straight on the back (this was tidied up at a later stage!).
For the body of the butterfly I used clock parts and wrapped some rusty wire around to match in with the springs. His head and antennae are old watch parts
I have used various cogs for the layering, some are genuine metal watch parts, some are Tim Holtz cogs and I also used a few wooden cogs which I painted.
The rusty hinges were left over from my 'Secret Garden' Click Here if you missed it, when I decided they were too big, but I think they look good on this project.
Well that's all folks! - for today at least
Thank you as always for dropping by today and if you would like to join in with the Industrial Challenge at CVC, you still have a couple more days click HERE for the details.