Saturday 30 August 2014

August Tag Simple Pleasures

Hi Everyone,

Firstly I must apologise for being a little quiet over the last couple of weeks.  Like most people August is holiday time and we have been away camping without any Internet connection - shock! horror! - not at all it was bliss! being at one with nature and having the time to actually appreciate the simple beautiful things that surround us this time of year, blooming flowers, birdsong, butterflies, dragonflies all of which go virtually unnoticed in the modern world when we so easily get wrapped up in social media, work, deadlines etc.  Now back home, and dangerously close to end of month deadline, I have based my August tag around my thoughts from the holiday, finding joy in the ordinary simple things in life, boring to some maybe, but oh so relaxing. I have used the same techniques that Tim has with his original which can be viewed Here together with all the step by step instructions.


Here we have my sweet little bird surrounded by butterflies and flowers.  I did a few photos along the way and of course a few close ups, so here we go.
 
Firstly I applied tissue tape onto the tag
 
 
Stamped the bird with black archival
 
 
I added some more tissue tape and a butterfly stamp
then used texture paste through 2 different stencils 
 

Swooshed the tag through the distress stains on a craft mat then added a little more stain to fill in the gaps.  I used any left over stain on the mat to colour the ribbon.
 

 
I used the speckles stencil to add blue and brown speckles
 
 
I made a label for my sentiment using the simple sayings frame stamp as I didn't have any vial labels.  I cut this out added the remnant rubs and colour with stains.
 
 
I cut out a few flowers from some of Tim's Wallflower papers
 

 I inked up the edges, went over them with multi-matt medium and when they were dry, shaped them layered them up, and added some metal embellishments and stitching. (see later photo)
 
 
I sewed on the sentiment and the photo tape with my sewing machine
 

I also sewed through one of the flowers to add some texture and added a couple of metal foliage which has been altered with distress paints

 
 I added my 'rust' as Tim did with Vintage Photo distress EP and an industrial metal strip on the bottom.
 
To make some of the stencilled textured numbers pop out I went around them with a stabilo all pencil to create a shadow (a great technique I learnt from Hels Sheridan). I also used the pencil to outline the bird and his eye as it was getting lost amongst the notes on the tissue tape.  The ribbon was tied in a Paula Cheney bow (love these) and the butterfly in the centre of it is one of loads cut from the butterfly frenzy die.  The extra butterfly and the birds twig are remnant rubs.
 


 
 



 
another look at the finished tag

 
Of course I was also making my little matching atc  for my collection made in exactly the same way, just with different stamps and stencils.
 

 
Thank you as always for popping in today, I do hope you like them.
Mo x 


12 comments:

  1. Love your gorgeous tag and fabulous ATC.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful Mo, love the flowers, fab take! Ruth x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely brilliant Mo, one of my most favourites of the ones I have seen around!! What you did with those flowers is sooo clever and I love how you used the bird too!!

    Great your camping holiday was so enjoyable, and I know just what you mean about simple pleasures! Good to have you back though :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my goodness - I love this to bits Mo - it flows so well - I think that getting back to nature was the perfect inspiration - I love this. The bird and the flowers look amazing. Glad you had a wonderful holiday! Big Hugs rachel xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your tag is simply gorgeous! Many very clever details - you are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mo, your tag is absolutely stunning - one of my favorites for August. Love how you used the Wallflower paper for the cut flowers and the bird stamp. So many ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice to have you back Mo! I love your tag, it is gorgeous - my favourite of your tags and ATCs to date. Being on holiday clearly inspired you to create even more beautiful art!! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an incredible and truly beautiful tag

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous take on the August tag Mo. There are so many wonderful details and ideas but in particular I love how you used the Wallpaper flowers to make such a lovely embellishment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning!!! Love the bird, the colors, and the addition of the flower!!!! The ATC is wonderful as well! Gorgeous take!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really fabulous tag on Tim's tag Almo - it looks wonderful. Glad you have had such a lovely holiday and recharge. Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous! This one looks like a winner to me. I LOVE the bird!

    ReplyDelete